30.9.09

Too many vowels

Tonight we had our first actual Swedish language class. It was hysterical. Put a few Russians, Ukrainians, Romanians, Canadians, and Americans in a room and try get them to pronounce a, å, ö, ä, e, o, y…and you get an amusing hour and a half.

We mainly focused on the alphabet and pronunciation of long and short vowels, along with a long list of greetings, and simple dialogues. Louise and I are meeting tomorrow to go grocery shopping. Imagine a Brit and an American buying milk saying “How is it going?”, “Good, thanks”, “Have a nice weekend”, “yo”, “I have to go”, “Good night, sleep well”…ah, the joy of learning a new language! It will be a slow, but fun process. I like our teacher a lot and the class is a really good group of people. I’m excited to get to know the others, because we'll be stuggling through it together!

En vecka till konserten! (I think that’s right…one week until the concert!) Dennis helped me print off the posters today, and I hung a few up at school. I’ll post a few in town tomorrow. Hopefully the word will get around!

That’s all for now. God natt och sov gott!

1 comment:

  1. how wonderful! i'm excited for you. let me know if you are able to stream it. now the all important question... how does one pronounce Piteå? and have you visited www.peopleofwalmart.com to cure homesickness?

    ReplyDelete