2.10.09

Comfort

Today was a great “warm and fuzzy” day. It began with a grocery store expedition. However, instead of dreading it, I was excited! I met Louise, and the little girl she takes care of, Lisa at the Coop around 9:30am. Being around babies always makes a person feel good (especially when they are adorable, funny, and well-behaved). Lisa kept trying to push the huge cart, and Louise showed me some new Swedish foods that her host family feeds her. It’s really nice that we get along so well! And, in a way I feel connected to a family close by, which is very comforting. Look how cute (and totally Swedish with her blonde hair and blue eyes)Lisa is.... 

After I loaded up on some of the standard food items (Kyle gets in this weekend to start rehearsing!), we went to the galleria to have coffee/tea/Lisa’s snack at a café. We chatted and practiced our Swedish, and were then approached by an old, curious couple investigating our accents. I've written in the past that in general Swedes keep to themselves, so it felt good to talk to some strangers. I told them to check out the concert next week. Shameless plug! :)

On the way back to Ankars we stopped at the post office because I had a package slip. I thought it was for my Swedish course books that I ordered. But, no! It was a box form home filled with some yummy comfort food!!!! My parents are the best! It was exciting to be able to read the labels, and know exactly what was in each container. Here’s what I will be munching on until Christmas (I’m determined to make it last a long time!)...


In the afternoon I met with my friend Venla, who is a singer/composer, and is also in charge of the student union. She wanted to learn a little bit more about percussion. We focused on all the mallet instruments, and it was really fun for me to share what I know! All this school paid off!

The rest of the day has been spent chatting with Daniel, planning more for the recital and Kyle’s arrival, finishing my piece (haha, again…changing some of it…of course, I can’t make this easy!), and practicing. Daniel has been out of town for a bit with his group, and it's always nice to have him around. We did a lot of catching up, and talked about what I want to do after the recital. I even played my piece for him (poorly, but it was a good nervous run). I’m glad that I had a well rounded, comforting day, because although I’m anxious about the next week, I actually don't feel too overwhelmed!!!

1 comment:

  1. Maria! I love the foods your parents sent to you. It made me laugh out loud because I TOTALLY have MI BBQ sauce and Skyline chili in the pantry right now. :-)

    I hope you have a great week with Kyle - I know he's been looking forward to it. I can't wait to hear about the concert!

    I've had a great time keeping up with your blog. It sounds like you're having a great time and making the most of your experience. I'm so jealous!

    Take care ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete