15.9.09

Trying to find a routine

I had an eventful day. It’s surprising how busy I can be without taking classes, but I'm still trying to find the perfect routine. Now that I am here for 3 straight weeks, and have the recital to focus on, I think I'll be able to get into a schedule...hopefully sooner than later!

I tried to wake up early to go running, but for some reason I stayed up a little past 2am last night getting work done/playing on facebook/sitting here staring at the wall. So, I ignored my alarm and didn’t wake up early, but I did go running. I found a great trail nearby that has three scenic routes through the woods, each a different distance. I picked the shortest loop (it’s been awhile!) because it was only 2.3K. I’ll be up to the 5K again in no time (hopefully…) I didn’t make it to school until a little after noon, but fitting in some exercise was worth it.

After practicing for a little bit (I was laying down some sequential sticking scales! Oh yeah! So exciting!), Daniel knocked on my door to chat about a few things. He is definitely playing with me and Kyle on the recital on Oct. 7! Woohoo! Since the conversation just kept on going, we decided to go up to one of the office lounges for some fika.

Daniel asked me what kind of expectations I had coming to Piteå, and if they were met. This instigated a very long response having to do with me moving to Sweden with only two real preconceived notions: 1. I would study with Anders (improvisation and composition) and 2. I would be responsible for my own success. Those two expectations have been realized, and I think that I’m enjoying everything even much more since I had no clue what to expect!

I asked Daniel more about the education system in Sweden, because it is very different than in the States. He also told me more about the group he plays with Norrbotten Neo, his job, and how he met Anders and Rolf. We also talked about collaborating more in the future, and possibly working with some composers here. This was the first time just Daniel and I have had the chance to sit down and really get to know one another. It was really pleasant!

Plus, the coffee was free…and one of the ladies gave us cookies :)

When we both realized how long we had been talking, we decided to head back down to the practice rooms. I focused my afternoon practice session on learning the duo and trio pieces for the recital.

I went home at about 5 for dinner and to check my email, then went back to school to practice around 7:30. This time, the focus was on my improving my piece. I tried implementing the suggestions that Anders and I discussed in our lessons, and I think it is really starting to grow and make more sense! I’m dreading putting into Finale/Sibelius (I still have to find that professor to give me access to the composition lab…). I can read my chicken scratch just fine!

I was actually pretty bummed when I had to leave the building at 10pm. Eastman people thought we had it bad with the building closing at 11pm!

Tomorrow, I MUST wake up earlier, so I am going to bed RIGHT NOW! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment