23.9.09

Thank you instincts

I’m home from my interview at the Medborgarskolan (citizen school), and it went wonderfully!! Today I met with Sven-Åke, who is in charge of the music classes, and tomorrow I have another interview at 10am to meet with his boss.

I really couldn’t have asked for a better interview or experience. I’m thankful that although I was exhausted last night, I typed up an additional, more detailed, summary of the two classes that I’m proposing to teach. (Go instincts!) When I presented my ideas and my credentials, Sven-Åke is totally on board! He inspired even more ideas as we chatted for about an hour.

If I get this job, I know that I will bring something new to the musical environment at this school, and I will learn so much as well. The first class I’m calling Free to Make Music. The music students at the school are all in bands (I think there are 11), varying in the genre of music they play (from punk to heavy metal to blues). I would meet with the groups and instigate creativity with free improvisation. So, not like “we’re writing a song”, but striving to really listen to each other, and learn a deeper understanding of the potential of each instrument. I think that there is so much awesome potential for this type of ‘jam’!

I’m calling the other class Junk Jammers. Sven-Åke suggested that I gear this class towards the drummers, which makes me thrilled because I can use more complex rhythms and ideas if they already have a background in drumming. However, I do want to explore the idea of bringing in non-musicians, any age, and any background (disabled included) to create a fun and united atmosphere through rhythm and music. The possibilities are endless!!

Sven-Åke also asked me to outline a class for group piano. I’m racking my brain trying to think of a curriculum that I’m comfortable with, and am going to do some research tonight. I wish I had Dr. Azzara’s book right now, and all of my other books and notes! I’ll think of something creative….

We also talked for a long time about Sweden in general; you know the normal “Why Piteå?” question. It’s always fun to answer and tell my silly little story. He is from even farther up north, by the Ice Hotel (I don’t know how to spell the name of the town, and am too lazy to look it up!), and said that I will definitely have to check it out at some point this year (hopefully with my Aunt Betsy. Did you get your passport yet, Aunt B?)

He also showed me some You Tube clips of some of his favorite drummers. It was fun to listen to be introduced to some new, crazy drummers! It’s really funny, because not many people know about Eastman here, but they are well aware of Berklee. I think it’s great that I’m getting to work with musicians with a totally different perspective and background that me.

This is a clip of Morgan Ågren. This is one video (lesson 7) of a series of instructional videos that were aired on Swedish public television. It’s funny just because he goes from the really simple base rhythm, to crazy, with nothing in between!




So, if tomorrow goes well, I will be on cloud nine! I’m hoping to teach as much as possible, at least a few classes a week in the evenings. Please keep the positive thoughts coming my way! I know it’s helped so far!

My other goal for tomorrow is to figure out how to put an ad in the paper to be a babysitter or nanny. Hum…I love figuring out all these random issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment