3.9.09

Maria and the Amazing Technicolor Wardrobe

I think I did a pretty good job packing and preparing for this move. I made sure to only bring articles of clothing that I knew I loved and would wear often. I tried to pick the pieces that are versatile and could be worn for different occasions, and layered to accommodate the weather. However, I did not take into consideration that most everyone here is uber-stylish and only wear blacks, grays, and very dark colors. If I would have known this, I would have left my orange scarf, white sweater, pink blouse, and college T-Shirts at home. And, let’s not even talk about the shoes. I thought I was good to go with my brown slip ons, gym shoes, black boots, and black dress shoes. I was wrong. It seems that, although people walk or bike absolutely everywhere, they are still able to wear the most uncomfortable looking things. At this point I am just observing and taking notes. The best I can do is manipulate what I brought to try and feel comfortable!

Overall, today was an “eh” day. It started off frustratingly early. Although I have curtains, the sun still blazes in at around 5:30am. I tossed and turned for a couple of hours, and finally gave in. I used the morning to try and teach myself some new words and phrases. I decided to tape a new word or phrase to my bathroom door everyday to increase my vocab.

Today’s phrase: Så roligt att ses igen – Nice to see you again!

When I went into school, my first stop was the IT service center. This is where I got my keycard to get in the buildings and practice rooms, so I was comfortable finding it and communicating with the people myself. I needed to get a log-in name to access the wireless internet in the school. The man helping me was great, but the information he gave me was not. Evidently, he couldn’t find me in the system. Hum. I’m going to spare you of the boring details about what this means, but just know that it is not good.

The administrative woman I was working with throughout this process left her job about a month ago. (Which is why so many emails went unanswered! I just thought she was busy and slightly annoyed by me.) I found this out when I got here, but Anders was optimistic because the man who took her job is really supportive of international students and ‘special cases’. However, I only met this man once, briefly, and don’t have any of his contact information (or the ability to spell his name!). Daniel and Anders are out of town, and I need their assistance. But, since I’m an idiot, I messed up my phone. Emails have been sent to them, but they are touring, so who knows what the internet access is like.

I need this to be worked out for many reasons. I need the log-in number to access the internet at school, get a library card, be in the student union (and get discount on flights, food, etc..), and for health insurance. It’s just frustrating because I think this woman left her job, and took my paperwork with her. Plus, you all know me, and I hate not being able to fix things like this right away!!!!! (Sorry, but looks like I bored you with details anyway!)

The rest of the day was practicing and composing. All this emotion has helped with the creative instincts, at least. This is helpful, especially since this is my first crack at a marimba solo. I’m really eager to get Anders advice and opinions. (Wish I had the student union card so I could book my flight to Stockholm next week…) Also, I have to add that practing without having a looming history exam, or 10 lessons to teach, is pretty awesome. I've never felt so focused in my life.

The best part of the day was video chatting with mom this evening! (Hi, mom!) I was obviously in a slightly icky mood, and she made me feel better. Plus, you don’t realize how much talking and interacting with people puts you in a better place until you don’t for hours on end.

Tomorrow will be the official ‘one-week’ mark, as the crazy chick who decided studying in Sweden for a year was a good idea. I’m looking forward to having a couple more under my belt.

P.S. I hope you realize that the title of this entry is a play on “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” (a musical. I was in it in high school...an Egyptian and Go-Go Dancer...haha)…hopefully it was obvious, because I definitely don’t use the descriptor ‘Amazing Technicolor’ everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment