13.9.09

Stockholm trip: Dag tre (day three)

When I woke up, I was exhausted!! Staying in a hostel is cheap, convenient, and great for the most part…except when you don’t bring your earplugs. It was a long night of counting sheep in as many languages as I could (even some made up ones) to try and tune out the snoring!

I spent the morning packing up to check out, and helping Aina find her key card. She must be late 70’s, early 80’s, and I can’t imagine traveling alone, staying in hostels, at that age. She couldn’t remember where she put it. We looked everywhere for about 30 minutes. I finally told her to go take a shower, and I would wait in the room to let her back in. Then we could go up to the desk to get her a new one. When she came back, she found it! It was in her passport case that hangs around her neck. Oh. My. I felt bad leaving her, and hope that she makes it back to Orlando safely.

Anders picked me up at about 10:30. He wanted to show me the view of Stockholm from Sodermalm (the southern island). Again, the weather was beautiful, and the view was spectacular! We saw several tour buses full of people, and we both agreed that a personal look at a foreign city is much better than following along in a bus.


After the sight-seeing, we had fika (coffee…and much needed for me, so tired!), and headed to the studio for one last session. We reviewed a lot of the concepts, and he assigned me some more material to work on. I’m going to sign up to play in a jazz combo or ensemble when I get back to school to get some more practice in.

At around 2pm, we called it a day. We made plans for me to return in October after my recital with Kyle. Then in November, I’m going to go to Norway with Anders, then back to Stockholm (for a lesson, and ‘New Moon’. hehe…), then to Paris for the marimba competition. Eastman and GPN (Global Percussion Network; Anders/Daniel/Rolf) are playing, plus I’ll be able to visit Kana! I am really excited for that trip!

I had lunch with Anders and Mike, the bass player that Anders plays with…they are going to Tampico, Mexico next week. We had lunch at the same café we ate at the first day with Tuva. I’m going to miss that place for sure! I went to the bus stop around 3pm to head back to the airport.

The bus was full, and I actually ended up falling asleep. Haha…but woke up as we approached the airport…no worries! When I checked in, I didn’t need a boarding pass again, and since I had the time I went to the information desk to ask about a frequent flyer card with Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). Anders suggested that I get one, so by the end of the year I may be able to get some free flights. Plus, SAS gives good deals to students. At the desk, the woman was very helpful, but they only had pamphlets and cards in Swedish. I had to walk all the way to the next terminal to the international service desk to get one, then walk all the way back. I know I looked like a goof with my backpack, messenger bag, coat, water bottle, and plastic bag with some extra sheets and towels that Anne gave me (so nice, I know!) Although it was a pain, I’m glad I got signed up for the card, plus, I got to count the points for this trip.

The flight was uneventful, and ironically, Linda was meeting a friend at the airport who was on the same flight! It was great to see her there in Luleå! We chatted for a bit, then parted ways…I’m sure we’ll hang out sometime this week.

Now, it was time for more bus traveling fun. For some reason, my stomach was in knots hoping that I would get home safe, and on the right buses! It was starting to get dark and rainy, which probably contributed to the anxiety. Plus, they were stopping at a ton of places that I didn’t recognize. I finally got to the main Luleå bus station, and had to wait 40 minutes for the bus to Piteå.

As I sat in the waiting room, and old man sat across from me and tried to talk to me. I couldn’t understand a word he was saying, and I don’t think it was even Swedish. I told him that I spoke English, and he tried to run some words together…like ‘ying, yang, I know, serious, charisma, brain, left, right’ It was pretty hysterical; especially when he pulled a beer can out from his jacket pocket.

The bus to Piteå finally came, and for some reason the driver only charged me 39kr. Yay! Although I was tired and cranky, I was still amused that the bus system is called...

The ride back took f-o-r-e-v-e-r. We stopped at so many small towns, plus it was pouring down rain. I kept thinking, “please stop raining in Piteå, please, please, please!” To my surprise and delight…no rain in Piteå. Plus, some of the other passengers on the bus were students, so I discreetly followed them back to the apartment complex (I know my way around, but it was still nice to be confident that I was going the right way in the dark!)

It felt great to return to my apartment. It is actually starting to feel like home! I skyped with the parents, and went to bed! It was a great and exhausting 3 days!!!!! I can't believe that this is my life!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more. I am so living vicariously through you! Keep marrating the videos, fun to hear your voice and makes them more interesting! Ok, so am I seriously the only one totally into your blog?
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em!!! I don't know if anyone else reads it besides mom and dad and a few friends :) I'm glad you're enjoying it, though! I'm really having a good time writing about everything, it'll be fun to look back on in a few years.

    Hope the boys are doing well, can't wait to see you over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete