26.9.09

Peer Pressure

Don’t worry. I didn’t do anything stupid! The title of this entry just describes the fact that I had no intentions of leaving my apartment last night. But, when I got home at 2:30am, I was glad that I had listened to my friends because I had such a good time! (Also realize that by “peer pressure”, I actually just mean a friend saying “let’s go to a party!”)

Overall, this week was exhausting! I still had a lot to get done yesterday, so I started the day off early. There is a small gym in my apartment complex, and I just found out it was free for the week. So, I went in the morning to check it out to see if I liked it. To my dismay, it was gross! It was just a small room with some free weights and smelly machines. No treadmills or ellipticals, just 3 really old and rickety stationary bikes. If I join, I can attend aerobic classes too, but I just don’t think it’s worth the money. I really really really miss my old gym in Rochester!

The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent checking a few more preparatory items off of the recital to-do list. I met with Denis, who is in the media department and going to make the posters and programs for the concert. He was a very young, shy guy, and I think I scared him a little! He seemed excited to have a project though, so we’ll see what he comes up with! Then, I met with Andreas who put Sibelius 6 on my computer so I can finally notate my piece (I’m so behind!).

After practicing, I decided to come home and start figuring out how to use Sibelius since it’s new to me; I’ve unfortunately always used Finale! But, I was so tired! So, I did what anyone would do…I downloaded the season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy and cried for two hours! It was so sad, but I’m still obsessed with that show!

As the evening progressed, I decided that it would be smart to stay in for the night to get some work done. Then, I talked to Martina. Her, Sofia, and one of their friends were making dinner and watching Idol. Since the gathering seemed harmless, I went over for an amazing meal! Sofia is a great cook! We had a tomato and cucumber salad, baked potato strips, pork fillets with mushroom sauce, and pineapple pie for desert. I definitely am friends with the right people! :) I was just going to go home after dinner and Idol (the guy I like got into the next round!), but the girls said that there was a house party nearby that they were going to…

…Hum. What to do? The thought of just going back to my apartment all by myself was a little depressing. And, how much work would I really get done? I wasn’t going to drink, so I could still get work done on Saturday…

…yeah. It doesn’t take much to convince me to be social! :) I ended up having such a great time! The house was really nice, and packed with people. I still find it so funny that there were about 50+ pairs of shoes sitting by the doorway…silly Swedes! I met a lot of new people throughout the night. People my age do enjoy speaking English, and are much more comfortable doing so when they are drinking! Plus, I’m getting so much more comfortable, and am really able to be myself...which is the BEST feeling in the world. I am mostly hanging around with my barlag (bartending team: Martina, Sarah, Astrid, David. Plus Sofia, Caroline and a few others). I’m so thankful that they are so amazing! The whole evening was filled with a lot of laughs. It seems that when Swedish people get drunk and try to speak English they resort to the Borat accent to be funny. And, it really is! Who would have thought we would click so well?!

Now, it’s Saturday around noon. I’ve already been to the grocery store and am truly focused on getting some work done. Although the stress is annoying, I do love it, and am not about to sacrifice a fun weekend in Sweden to be a nerd!!

No comments:

Post a Comment