22.9.09

Random stuff!

Two weeks and two days until my first performance in Piteå!! I'm getting really excited, but nervous too! Things are starting to fall into place, though. I found someone to make posters, and the performance will definitely be professionally recorded. I would still love to find a lighting engineer to help set the atmosphere for each piece, but if that doesn't happen, we'll survive. Kyle is arriving on October 2 so we will have plenty of time to rehearse.

Today I finished the marimba solo! Now, I just need to put it into Finale and expand the percussion parts (I just have a bare sketch/ideas written out). I'm still trying to think of a title. I'm usually pretty good at coming up with names for pieces, but for some reason I haven't thought of anything that I really like. I would like the title to reflect upon the experiences that I've had here the past few weeks, as my creative energy from this journey has gone straight into the music! I'll post the full program once I think of the title. Suggestions are welcome!

I did eat lunch at Kåren today! I had a veggie wrap and apple, and was pleased to see Sarah, Martina, and Sofia there. There were a TON of new faces, but I did see Phil, the other American!! When Martina and I were having coffee yesterday, he walked past her window. She told me that she thought he was the other American that is in Piteå. So, I ran out the door and ran after him yelling "Are you American?!?! Are you American!?!?" He had headphones on and looked at me like I had four heads! But, once I explained to him that I was from Ohio, he understood why I was screaming at him. He is a pianist and composer from Oregon. He asked me to help him learn how to write for percussion, so that should be fun!

The next two days are going to be a ton of fun. I have to practice super early tomorrow, because I have plans all day. At 1:30 I'm meeting up with Matilda for an interview. She is studying radio, and has to conduct some sort of interview. She took advantage of my willingness to please everyone here and tendency to say "yes", and asked me to be her interviewee. I don’t really know what to expect, but I do think it will be fun!

Then, at 4pm I'm going to Astrid's for dinner. We have to eat early, because at 5:30pm we're going to be extras in a Swedish MOVIE!!! Haha, this is totally random, but they are filming a movie here in Piteå, and need an audience for one of the scenes. Talk about an adventure…I will take tons of pictures :)

I have big news! On Wednesday, I have an interview to teach music classes at the community school!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got a hold of the music director, and he seemed to respond positively to my ideas, language barrier or not. (Music is the universal language, so come on!). I'm proposing to teach a free imoprov class, where I will call upon influences such as Anders, Bill Cahn's Creative Music Making, and my experiences with OSU percussion to create an environment where any group of musicians, regardless of ability, can come together and create music. I also want to do a Stomp-esk group, like I did at Dazzle. I'm curious to find out what the director will want me to do as well. I'm sure I'll have a lot to write about after the meeting. Please pray that this opportunity works out!

And, the last random thought of the day: Check out my best buddy from OSU. So proud of you, Lizzle:)
Hook 'Em Horns

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! It's Heather from Lakota West! I was realllllllllly bored and playing around fb when I came across your blog. My brother was first chair at west for drums as well and is now a sophomore at OSU. Crazy. Sweden huh? Wow! I work at Ikea....does that count? lol It sounds like you're doing amazing things and having a great time doing it! I wish you the best of luck and I pray that life continues to move you through your music! Later chica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all performances and getting interview for music teacher job!!! So excited for you :) You are so active! which is wonderful! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maria - I just came across your blog and read all your posts in one sitting! You have a very exciting way of writing, and your adventures in Swenden are quite amazing! Sounds like it is quite a life-changing experience for you! Good luck with your recital and the rest of the year. I will bookmark your blog and come back often. :-)

    Best,
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete