16.9.09

The Box

Thinking outside of “the box” is just going to have to be my slogan for this year. (No, I can’t define what “the box” actually is…you know what I mean, just go with it…)

I know I’ve mentioned my financial stresses numerous times already, and I really am doing my best to stay positive and have faith that everything will work out, but it is really hard and quite weird spending so much when there is no income at the moment.

I'm still trying to get ahold of the citizen school (community school) to see if I can teach some classes. Hopefully I will get through soon. I just need to be working! It's driving me nuts!

So, since this plan is still in the works, I’m trying to think of new ways to earn a few kroner. Here are some of my ideas:
    - Accompany dance classes on hand drums (shout out to Joe Krygier!). Micke (my advisor…I was spelling his name wrong in the last few entries, whoops) talked with the dance class organizer again today, but no news yet.
    - Put an ad in the local paper as an English speaking nanny/babysitter. Parents should want their kids to practice speaking the language, right?
    - There are a lot of cafés in town that hire live music. I’m trying to create a repertoire list that is accessible for a small venue. Moments like this…I think should have picked the clarinet.
    - Put up signs in schools to see if any singers/guitar players (there are a ton of them at the school) want a chick drummer in their group for gigs
    - Contact high schools in my hometown to do some master classes/clinics while I’m home in December
    - Work at my cousin's Subway again while I’m home in December…(good news, huh Em?)


Any other ideas? Nothing is out of the question at this point!

I’ve been brainstorming all day, as well as Googling and researching possible grant and scholarship opportunities for next semester. I think that my story/plan is worth an investment for a foundation, but I just can’t find any that are interested. I’m in a foreign country, collaborating with teachers, composers, and performers, and recording my work!! I mean come on people! Help me out! But, it is “the arts”…and even when we’re not in a horrible economic state, it’s hard to find support.

Sigh.

Alright, that’s enough of that. Sense a little bit of the frustration? Good thing mom and I Skyped tonight. She made me feel a lot better, so…thanks mom :)

On a positive note, I had an AMAZING day in the practice room. I split the day into three chucks of time. In the morning I focused on the duo/trio recital music, in the afternoon I worked on my piece, and in the evening I did some improve work on the vibes. This schedule seemed to really be focused and productive, so I’m going to continue with this structure the next few days and see how it goes.

Oh, yeah…and I have a meeting on Friday with the Accelerator program executive. She’s going to help me collaborate with the other departments in the school (lighting designers, sound engineers, dancers, etc…) for my recitals. I’m sure I’ll have a lot to write after going over my ideas with her!

1 comment: