5.9.09

I will survive!!

When I woke up this morning, I decided to give myself a break. I’ve survived one whole week in a foreign country, and for argument's sake, all by my lonesome. Not too shabby, and although there have been a few bumps in the road the past few days, I think that this will be a very worthwhile experience (...keeps fingers crossed).

As I slowly started my day, I made a list of everything I wanted to accomplish. I needed to pick up a few things at the store, write some emails, organize my place a bit, and most importantly, interact with people more than yesterday! I was feeling much better when I woke up, wasn’t coughing too much, so I decided that a trip into town was in store. I called Daniel and Arianna, and we decided to meet up for lunch a little later.

Thankfully, it wasn’t raining, and the 20 minute walk into the center of town seems to be getting shorter and shorter. I didn’t even attempt to look like a Swede today: jeans/gym shoes/Eastman sweatshirt/scarf. I stopped at the department store, Åthlens, to look for a bathroom rug and a hand towel. I found few good deals, because everything in the store is 30% off. It’s reassuring that even though I don’t know the language very well, I can still bargain shop.

I called Daniel and Arianna to meet up, and we proceeded to go to a cute little café. With Daniel’s help, I actually ordered a sandwich in Swedish! Woohoo! Plus, it was delicious and affordable :) I love chatting and hanging out with the two of them. They have a very unique and beautiful bond, and they are very easy to get along with. I made them let me take a picture…
After lunch/coffee, we went back to their apartment. I looked through their wedding albums, and then Daniel helped me figure out how to buy minutes for my phone and find a hostel for Stockholm. He was leaving again for a few concerts with his group, Norrbotten Neo, so Arianna and I left to walk around and shop a little more. It’s such a fun area, there are so many stores and cafés!
First, we went to the phone store and reloaded my phone with minutes! Finally, I can check anything having to do with a cell phone off my list! We continued to window shop until I, admittedly, bought a new scarf (on sale, cheaper than in the States…I felt like I deserved one present for myself…don’t judge!), and then went on a walk by the water. We had to cross over a railroad track with this sign. For some reason, I thought was so cute (and reminds me of an inside joke with my parents, from my dad's days working on the railraod....get it, folks?):
Then, we passed two women picking berries from a tree. Evidently, you are allowed to pick any fruit from anywhere in Sweden. We helped them reach some branches even though we weren’t much taller then them.
After enjoying the afternoon outside, we decided to buy some ice cream at the grocery store, and watch a movie at Arianna’s (see way I like her?!). She made a berry mix to go on top of the ice cream (she was inspired by the women we passed in the park), and we watched the movie Hancock. It wasn't the best movie, but it was a wonderful way to relax, considering it was the first sweet treat I’ve eaten and movie I’ve seen since coming here.

I decided to come home after the movie, by this time it was around 6pm. I was starting to feel a bit tired under the weather again. Arianna and I are going to have dinner either tomorrow or Monday, which gives me something to look forward to.

On my way home, I actually ran into a few of the people that I met from school earlier this week. It’s exciting to finally start seeing familiar faces, that’s for sure!

I’ve gotten a lot done tonight, and may have a lead on a job I can apply for. I can’t get too excited yet, but I stumbled upon some community teaching openings. The application is due at the end of the month, so I still have time to investigate. I finalized my trip to Stockholm, I’m leaving early on Wednesday and getting back late on Friday. The hostel is recommended by Anders and Daniel, looks nice and is really close to Anders' studio. http://www.fridhemsplan.se/

The best part of the evening was when Becky called!!!! Becky is one of my great friends I met at Eastman who lives in London (Hi, Becky!). It was wonderful to hear a familiar voice and catch up a bit! I’m going to be visiting her in October, and can’t wait!

From talking to Becky tonight, to Skyp-ing with Angela and Marilyn for a good hour and a half last night, I’ve spent my first weekend in Sweden with 3 of my favorite friends...even if they are all far away! Knowing that I’m not really “all by my lonesome” sure does mean the world to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment