27.10.09

Productive

Today had to be one of the most productive days that I’ve had in Piteå, and it really feels good!

I slept a lot yesterday…the sun setting around 4:30pm really messes up your system! I feel asleep on my couch from about 7-9pm (and if you know me, you’re not surprised), woke up and got some things accomplished, and was in sound asleep again by midnight. So, when I woke up this morning, I was ready to take on another gloomy weather day with a smile!

Phil (the other American, from Oregon) offered to make some American pancakes...you know, the fluffy kind...for breakfast sometime this week. This morning, I took him up on his offer! He’s going to write a piece for me and Lisa, a vocalist. He’s never written for this combination, but I really like working with composers that are excited and willing to try new things. I’ve been showing him some instruments and we’ve discussed notation a lot this week, so it’ll be cool to see what he comes up with. Americans in Piteå, unite! Haha….

Then, I headed off to school. I got so much done in the practice room. Mr. Krygier so kindly emailed me the music to Charleston Capers, the xylophone rag I’m playing with Lakota West (my alma mater) in December. I love practicing rags…it’s just fun, melodic music, so it was a great way to start the morning. I then worked on the concerto that I’m also playing at West. I worked on the “drummy” part, which always acts as a stress reliever! Since I was “in the groove”, I had to work on music that isn’t as much fun to practice. I’m playing in a small contemporary ensemble that rehearses tomorrow for the first time. The piece is for vibes, 2 tam-tams, a cymbal, and a piperack (Daniel can’t think of what a piperack is…so, I’m just hitting the tam-tam rack….haha). The piece isn’t too bad, it just has some crazy bowing and counting, so I want to be prepared for tomorrow.

The pancakes began to wear off around 12:30, so I went to the Kåren to grab some lunch. The people working at the café know me, and I always ask “what’s for lunch today!?” (they offer 2 or 3 meals, and they always change…and I can never understand the board!) Today there was a sweet potato and curry pasta thing, and I thought it sounded good. The older woman that works there always lets me try a small sample before I buy it. I am spoiled by their kindness :)

While I ate, I chatted with some friends about Halloween. I sure do miss the States! There is a costume party here on Friday, but that’s about it! I think I’m going to go as the Statue of Liberty…nothing can ever top the shower costume, but packing it just wasn't practical!

As everyone had to go their separate ways after lunch, I headed back to….the practice room, of course. I worked on the new piece that I’m writing, and Daniel listened to what I have done so far. Writing a solo piece is much harder than writing a piece for an ensemble, I think. It’s much more exposed! I’m second guessing my ideas more because I don’t know if they are interesting enough to stand alone. Daniel shared his thoughts, and we discussed some different concepts and variations on what I’ve done. Hopefully it'll turn out okay...but we’ll have to see!

I stayed and worked on various other things until about 4pm, and it was dark! My right wrist was aching a bit, so I decided to call it a day. I actually took a nap when I got home because I was pretty worn out, and wasn’t motivated enough to start a project :) A little nap goes a long way…and I’ve gotten so much done this evening!

Jakob (sound engineer) and I have been talking and trying to set up a time to do a studio recording of Hittade. We finally set a date today: November 19. I’m really looking forward to this experience, and it will feel great to have something tangible to show for my work here in Piteå. I may try to record this new piece as well (we have the hall the entire day), but we’ll have to see if I can get it done in time.

I had laundry time booked at 8pm, which I really needed to get done (the advantage of this booking system...I HAVE to do my laundry when I've signed up, so being lazy!) While I was running between the laundry building and my apartment, I chatted with Kana via Facebook, and finalized my plans for Paris!! Woohoo! I’m going to stay at her place (which I wasn’t expecting, and am so excited about!) with Morgann on Nov. 25, then go to the hotel with Annie and Amy the rest of the time. I still can’t believe so many amazing people are going to be in Paris at the same time. And, I am so happy that RyanAir exists. It’s going to be quite an affordable and memorable trip!

Now, I’m working on various other projects, emails, and correspondences. Tomorrow rehearsal is at 9am (boo, I can’t believe I used to wake up at 5:30am in Rochester, and then have a full day. I can barely make it up at 7:30am now!), so I’ll need to get some sleep tonight. Hopefully the rest of the week is just as productive!

1 comment:

  1. You used to wake up at 5:30am in Rochester? wow. This is making me tired

    ReplyDelete