25.10.09

culture rich weekend

Before I get started, I need to vow to write everyday this week. I got out of the habit of sharing my oh-so-exciting daily eating habits and such with you…and I need to get back in a routine of writing. I’m afraid that if I don’t, I’ll forget about this thing by March and regret it! So, this week I will write everyday. Yell at me if I don’t. (oh, and this entry is really long…so prepare yourself…)

This weekend was filled with many events that put me back in a positive and energetic mood! On Friday night I invited all the international students over to go out for pizza, and then hang out before the big party at Kåren. I’ve gotten to know them a little through our Swedish class, and when we did the interview a few weeks ago, but I really wanted to just hang out!

We went over to the pizzeria that is close to Ankars (where we live). I found myself playing hostess, even though we were out. I just wanted to make sure everyone was happy with their food, and ensure that the conversation kept rolling! They talked about their major, journalism, and how it’s different from their studies in Russia and Ukraine. We also talked about how different the social scene is here in Sweden…and found a lot of common ground throughout the night!

After the pizza (which was knife and fork pizza, with mini shrimp, ham, and mushrooms. I can’t wait to get back to Ohio and order some Larosa’s or Papa John’s…mmm…), we hung out at my apartment for awhile. The first band at the Kåren started around 9:30, so we had to time it just right! Martina had a friend visiting, and since she had to be at Kåren to set up (all the first year ‘experience production’ majors put the festival together) I was enlisted to entertain him. His name was Gustav, and he was super tall, hairy, and hysterical! He was from southern Sweden and entertained us in his already drunken state (crazy Swede!). I was upset when he spilled some beer on my rug (from the thrift store…but still!), but then I convinced him he owed me a drink at the bar, so it was all good!

On our way up to Kåren we stopped at my friend Anton’s because it was his birthday, and ran into a lot of other people. Most students from school go to this party at Kåren because it’s a big deal for the ‘experience production’ majors, and there is live music, etc…It was a great night! Louise (that will be known as ‘Lou’ from now on) was staying at my place, because the family she au pairs for lives about 10 minutes away when driving. It was nice to have a person there to speak English with, and someone that I knew had my back (and I had hers) at all times. It really made the night much more fun!

I love that Swedish people actually dance too…it’s not as dirty/annoying as going dancing can be in the States. Lou and I had every intention of staying out after Kåren closed, and going to an after-party (another popular Swedish social event), but when we got back to my apartment there was no way we had the energy to go back out! I put an episode of Sex And The City on my computer, and I’m pretty sure we were both asleep within the first 5 minutes. (no pictures. RIP camera…)

In the morning, we had to wake up a little early because I had a gig at 11:30. And, what does an au pair do on her day off? Make a yummy breakfast for her and her slightly hung over friend, of course!! She made European style pancakes….with Nutella!!! It was the perfect start to another great day.

At 11:30am I had to meet a group of students in the center of town for an interesting gig. Some of the other  'experience production' students planned a musical event to occur in the Galleria, the small indoor shopping mall downtown. It was sort of like Improv Everywhere, the group based in NYC. We all learned a song, and some dancers created choreography. We all walked around the Galleria, and at 12:30 the violinist began the tune, and we all joined in. We rehearsed last week after the mall closed, and I was really excited to be a part of it, and to see people’s reactions.

I played a tar (a Middle Eastern hand drum). They gave me a stroller to put the drum in so no one would suspect anything. It was HYSTERICAL walking around with an empty stroller…but, I had the best behaved kid around! Luckily, Lou wondered around with me, and we giggled as I fake paid attention and rocked the kid. At 12:30, the violinist started, and the dancers danced! The mall was pretty crowded, and it was funny to witness the confused expressions on everyone’s faces. The TV students filmed it with hidden cameras and such, so we’re supposed to get a DVD of it, that I’ll share soon!

some pics...taken with my small video camera...

my kid is sooooooo cute!

playing, with dancers along too

the group playing in the mall


After the little show, Lou and I headed over to a café called Krocodil. It’s a great little place that I’d heard a lot about, but this was my first time going. They have a small stage, and Venla was going to be singing and playing some African drums! It was also her birthday, so I really wanted to go. The singer/songwriter she sang with (I can’t remember her name! ugh!) was fabulous! She had a very pure and emotive voice, plus the lyrics (in English) were really touching. Venla has a gorgeous voice too, and the harmonies were perfect. Plus, they had a djembe/dundun player with them! His name is Adam, and he is from Senegal! After their set, the three of them played some traditional African drumming, and Adam explained what each rhythm was called and represented in his culture. I was SOOOOO excited! I couldn’t wait to talk to him after the show!

Go Venla!!


The third act was a man who is evidentally a big radio personality in Sweden. He talked for about 30 minutes, and honestly, I really didn’t want to be there. I had no idea what was going on, I had to pee, and I was hungry. But, the room was packed, and if I tried to leave I would have made an embarrassing scene. So, I just sat there…and maybe closed my eyes once or twice….

I was tough (haha) because I really wanted to stay for the last act. I wasn’t sure who they were, but the drum set up was really cool (a normal kit with a mounted doumbeck, tamburim, some bells and other accessories). I’m so glad I did! The musicians were from all around the world! The bass player (leader of the group) was Finnish, the singer (amazing!) lives in Paris, and I think one of the guitar players was from Morocco? Again, their intro was in Swedish, so I didn’t catch it all, and none of my friends knew either.

This group really was outstanding. Each one brought a very different musical background, and the product was very unique! There were so many genres put together; county two-step, Indian inspired patterns, shuffle, Moroccan guitar, rock and roll power chords, folk singing, mbira (or kalimba, I can never remember the difference), accordion tango, African dancing…etc…I was so excited to be there! Venla took me backstage to chat with everyone, and it seems as though they don’t play together very often, which is a shame because I really enjoyed it!

I have a crush on the bass player (he's such a  cute old man!) and the guitar player (I'm a sucker for talent...)

the crappy camera mic distorts the sound every once in awhile...my bad...but it should give you an idea of what the group was like!

When the concert was over, Venla offered to drive me back to Ankars (she is so nice!). I finally met her boyfriend, Jon, who is equally as nice! It always makes me happy to meet really great couples :) Since it was her birthday, Venla was having a little get together…at first I wanted to “be good” and spend the evening in…but after I got home, Johan, a German exchange student, knocked on my door. He asked me if I was going, I hesitated, but then gave in. I decided I would only go for a bit, no drinking. Venla is to awesome to skip her birthday party!

Johan, Phil (the other American), and I made a salad to take with us (it was a pot luck) and we headed over to the party. Each little apartment/condo complex has a clubhouse in the middle that you can rent for free for parties, which is really awesome! There were a lot of people there, including the drummer from Africa! We talked for a really long time. I still can’t believe there is drummer from Senegal here. He moved here about 3 months ago, and said I could play with him! I told him about my past experience with playing in African dance class at OSU, and when he realized I actually knew how to play and knew some rhythms, I think he got excited too!

I chatted with a lot of new people, as well as a lot of people I’ve met in the past few weeks. I’m finally starting to connect with a lot of musicians and composers, which is really nice. I ended up leaving around 11, because I was so tired, but I hear that the party lasted until the wee hours of the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read about the stroller and the drum, but then the pictures sent me into an uncontrollable laughter!

    ReplyDelete