13.10.09

October Stockholm visit

The morning after the concert I was on an airplane (sleeping during the flight, of course), on my way down to the city. The purpose of this visit was to meet with Anders a few times for lessons, visit Rolf at his job with the Royal Swedish Army Band, and do a little sight-seeing. We definitely packed a lot into a few days!

On Friday, I went up to Hallenbergen to see Rolf Landberg. He is a member of GPN (Global Percussion Network; the percussion group with Anders and Daniel), and he teaches and plays for the army band. The band was rehearsing movie music with Swedish conductor Hans Ek for a concert that weekend. It was great to observe a rehearsal with such a great conductor and band. Although I couldn’t understand everything he was saying, I could guess at his comments and requests...music is music...and I've played in enough bands to make some educated guesses!



Then, David Lindberg, one of the drum majors for the group, gave us a lesson on Swiss and Swedish drumming. He let me play on the drum, which felt a lot different than the rope tension drums that we used for the OSU drum and fife group. It was more of a hybrid between our ‘traditional’ and ‘modern’ drums. He’s doing a clinic at PASIC this year, wish I was going to check it out!

It was also fun learn more about how the military band and service works in Sweden. Rolf not only plays, but instructs all of the recruits and percussionists in the group. They have a huge rehearsal space, and a lot of equipment and practice rooms. Rolf was a good tour guide…he’s got a pretty sweet gig, that’s for sure!


Aside from some great time with Anders and his family, the other highlight of the trip was a trip to the Vasa Museum (check out the website for info about the ship).I thought of Dr. Powell and Mr. Kygier while I was there, because it’s the one thing they told me to see in Stockholm! It was pretty amazing. The ship was huge, and I really liked all the exhibits. Took tons of pictures, but I’ll only post the amusing ones!








I was sad to leave Stockholm, because I absolutely love the city, but was feeling extremely exhausted and under the weather, so I was looking forward to getting home to my bed in Piteå. However, the trip was extended by a couple of hours. When we were boarded on the plane, the pilot announced that the breaks of the aircraft were subpar, so we had to exit, and board a new plane an hour later! Luckily, it wasn’t a complete fiasco…turns out that I the couple I was sitting next to was from Piteå, and offered me a ride to my apartment (a 50 minute ride that takes 2 hours on the bus!). They were so nice, and we chatted during the flight and the car ride. Ironically, the husband was a fundraiser for the Acusticum! (which is where I played my recital). I was very thankful for their generosity!

I slept all day yesterday, and am finally feeling better. It’s been such a crazy couple of weeks. I’m happy to refocus, and work towards some new goals. Anders gave me a lot of new ‘assignments’…one being recording Hittade in the studio. Life is good, as usual… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment