23.10.09

Salzzzza

Whenever I think about salsa (the food or the genre of music), I think about the past OSU percussion studio. Not in a good way though, because the used to make fun of me because I say “salza” instead of “salsa”. Haha, I have my quirks, I guess! They wouldn't make fun of me, if they didn't love me...right mom?! (I think she's been telling me that since I was 5 years old! haha!) It was all out of fun, and I miss everyone so much!

This afternoon was different then most. Last night Venla called me to ask if I wanted to play in a salsa band. Of course I wanted too! So, today we met in one of the ensemble rooms (there are a lot of large rooms with a piano, drumset, and multiple amps for the bands to rehearse) and read down two charts. It was so much fun! I played congas and had a blast…it was nice to use what I learned in hand drum class at OSU…thank goodness I remembered all those rhythms! We’re going to rehearse every Friday, and hopefully gig in the spring.

After the rehearsal, I practiced. I’m making a lot of progress on a new piece for solo marimba, vibes, kick drum, 2 opera gongs, 2 toms, and 2 cymbals. It may end up being a duo because I don’t like solo played as much…but we’ll see!

Now, I’m getting ready to meet all the people from my Swedish language class for dinner, then we’re going to a big party at the Kåren called Upplevelsefest! Louise is also staying over, which will be super fun! I’m sure I’ll have some stories this weekend!

….Also….thanks to everyone who sent me messages this week! You all mean so much to me and I wouldn’t survive this new experience without your love and supprt! I’m ready for this weekend, and to put all the emotion behind me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment