8.10.09

Shower thoughts

As I stood motionlessly in the shower this morning at 7am (after 5 hours of sleep, there is not much else I could do!) I tried to figure out what made last night’s performance so special. I’ve always loved performing, but this concert had a very different energy than the recitals that I’ve put on in the past.

I don’t think it’s simply the fact that this concert was in Sweden, because as Piteå begins to feel more comfortable the foreign boundaries begin to disappear. I think one of the main factors was the thought that we were sharing something totally new and exciting to a new and excited audience.

Not to say the people I’ve played for in the past were not new and exciting, it’s just that a lot of my media friends, and even some of the musicians in the audience, had not heard or seen percussion music before. Plus, I got to share something very personal with them, a piece I composed, which is a feeling that was pretty new to me.

I think the energy also stemmed from the personal relationship I had with each aspect of the program; the music, the performers, the logistics, the EVERYTHING. I am proud of the fact that I really had a hand in each level of creation of the show. Plus, I was playing with some outstanding colleagues, and it was truly a pleasure.

All of these thoughts lead me to the conclusion that I my ‘future ambitions’ need to focus on bringing these kinds of concerts to audiences and communities that are not jaded by the university or student life. I’ve done (along with all American music students) so many concerts at schools only for audiences that are there just for school credit, or because a friend was making them. I want to play for people that I can inspire and excite. I want to teach community members about percussion music…the history, the versatility, and the energy that comes when playing such a diverse instrument. I’m still figuring out how to do this, but I have a whole year in Norrbotten to do so!

So, that’s what I thought about as I forced myself out of bed this morning. We’re leaving for Stockholm in about an hour. I know that meeting up with Anders will get me even more excited about music and life in general. More stories on Sunday...I’m one lucky person/musician!

1 comment:

  1. What a successful event!!
    Congratulations :)
    It is nice to live different place... and get yourself refleshed (kind of) and take all in whats out there... :)

    Good luck with more projects!!!

    ReplyDelete