26.1.10

Play like a bass

There is so much to write about today, I don’t even know where to begin…my racing thoughts need to calm down so I can get some rest. Tomorrow will be just as crazy!

The day actually started off at a normal time. Meaning, I was able to wake up with my alarm at 7am! Woohoo! It was a lovely morning (well, lovely as in I was able to take my time getting ready and enjoying my cozy apartment. The weather is awful right now…grey and cold!) I was at school by 9am to warm-up and practice.

From 10am-Noon I was rehearsing with a quartet (flute, piano, 2 percussion) for a composer’s concert during the Midvinter Festival. We are playing three pieces by three different students. Overall the rehearsal went well, but at times I felt like an outsider. First was because of the language barrier. I really did forget a lot over the holidays, and haven’t put much time into learning more Swedish since I’ve been back (note to self….study!) Also, the other musicians and composers weren’t very vocal or opinionated…two things that accurately describe my personality. Therefore, I felt as though I was leading most of the rehearsal because no one else would say anything. I can’t decide how this was received by my colleagues (who all happened to be male), but I know that if I didn’t try to fix things or suggest rehearsal techniques not much would have been accomplished. After rehearsal most of them went to lunch at the Acusticum together, and didn’t invite me, which hurt my feelings a little bit. I miss the comradery that I was accustomed to at Eastman and OSU. Alas, I know that some people just don’t know how to approach me and that there is more to this experience than having a group of people to eat lunch with!

After I did get to grab a bite to eat, I practiced a little more before Anders’ arrival. I was so excited to have a lesson and chat with him. And…my expectations for a great afternoon were definitely met!

I tell ya…every time I work with Anders I feel so energized and positive about music/percussion and life in general. His perspective and way of describing music is just so unique, but simple…inspiring and fun. After playing some excerpts on timpani from Stravinsky’s ‘The Rite of Spring’ I saw and heard the music so much differently than before. Even after listening to tons of professional recordings…’Play like a bass’…it’s really that simple! Then he had me play a Delecluse snare drum solo on marimba. It totally messed with my brain and now every time I play it, I’m going to hear the melodies we created (which is the point….every percussionist that reads this (if there are any!) needs to go try it!) I also played some Bach on marimba, which now actually sounds like I know what I’m doing. The lesson ended with the piece I just finished (which is one of a few ‘Variations on CPE Bach’ that I’m writing). He dug it!

There was never a dull moment for the entire 2 hour lesson. I have no idea what I’ll be doing in 10 years but I hope I remember afternoons like this, and remember how music can be so energizing…whether it be groovy or baroque style marimba, excerpts or snare solos. I hope that I can inspire and excite others about this stuff just like Anders does with just about everyone he comes in contact with!

We talked about what is in store for the next few months. I’d like to go down to Stockholm for some lessons before my recital on March 2. Plus, I miss Anne, Tove, and Emma a lot! So, I’ll probably head down at the end of February for a weekend. Then, at the end of March, I’m soooooo excited, because I’m going to accompany Anders on a road trip through Germany and Austria to help sell Zildjian cymbals! How cool is that?!

The evening was spent at Daniel and Arianna for a taco dinner. The four of us had a really nice time. I haven’t hung out with them in awhile, so it was nice to catch up! Plus, Arianna makes a mean Mexican taco!

After dinner I walked back to Ankars to meet up with Lou and Anna to workout. We sat and chatted about the eventful day (I seriously have no idea what I would do without them. Seriously!) They said that I was gleaming and I just couldn’t stop talking about the awesome day! I kicked their butts working out because I had so much energy, and we laughed for the entire hour (which is good because it works your abs!)

Tomorrow I have another rehearsal at 9am, and working with Anders in the afternoon. So…I’m sure I’ll tons to talk about tomorrow night too!

No comments:

Post a Comment