21.1.10

Endorphins and Avatar

I spent the last 7 hours with two of my favorite girls doing “normal” things. Meaning…I think this is what non-musicians do on a more regular basis!

After a full day of helping Diana get more settled and then practicing, I came home about 5:30pm to meet up with Lou and Anna to workout! I have been looking forward to this all week! As you recall, since I arrived here I’ve been complaining that the gym in town is too expensive and the ‘student’ one in Ankars is dirty and gross. So, it’s been hard to find daily exercise routine aside from walking or running (and now that there is snow everywhere, running is out of the picture).

We decided to take matters into our own hands. I created a little kickboxing/bootcamp class and we are going to do it twice a week in Kvartes! It was perfect, and took me back to my favorite Downtown Fitness Club (in Rochester) days. I will not be able to move tomorrow, and it’s going to feel great!

After sweating and laughing for an hour or so, we got cleaned up, cooked a scrumptious chicken and cous-cous dinner, and headed into town to see Avatar in 3D. I’m not like most of the world, and had no burning desire to see the film. However, was curious enough to have a night out with the girls (and will have to thank Thomas many times for sponsoring us!)

My synopsis of the movie echoes those of many people I know. Visuals=Incredible. Plot=Crap. All of the blatant stereotypes and bad dialogue really annoyed me. If they spent 10 years creating the special effects, you think they could have spent a little more time developing the characters and plot. Plus, the message of the movie is pretty powerful, but not inspiring enough because of the lack of intellect…in my opinion. I guess my senses to stereotypes are heightened when I am here in Sweden. One of my friends alluded to the parallels in the movie and the war in Iraq. Ugh. It’s so sad, and I just hope that the world will one day be able to see America as more than the country at war.

On a musical note…it was so bad! Again…for creating such an amazing and unique world, why was the music so familiar?! I expected a spectacular soundtrack, but all I heard was tribal drums and corny melodies. I’m pretty sure the native flute was the same in Titanic.

That’s all! Maybe our endorphins wore off too quickly when the movie started…

No comments:

Post a Comment