18.1.10

Conquer the fear!

Today I marched into Sparbanken Nord, and conquered my fear of….the Swedish bank. If you recall, the first time I got emotional after the move was when I went to the bank to see if I could open an account. The woman wasn’t very nice or helpful…hence me getting upset. Ever since then I have avoided the bank like the plague and relied on my US accountant (my dad) to help me with transferring money.

Everything has been working out fine with wiring rent money and withdrawing cash at Forex. However, when I gigged with Neo, they sent me a check as opposed to depositing it in my account. I heard that if you tried to cash a check at a Swedish bankat which you don’t have an account, they charge a penalty fee. I’ve pretty much been avoiding the subject until today when I realized that I needed the money and I was being stupid.

I did some research and found out the Swedbank (the bank my money goes through) and Sparbanken Nord are kind of the same thing, so I marched in there today to see what I could find out. Cashing the check was pretty much the easiest process ever. They didn’t ask any questions, and now I have the money to be able to eat for the next two months.

Wow, Maria. Way to go. All that worrying for nothing!

The rest of my day has been super busy. Anna, Lou, and I did a super fast grocery run after my banking excursion and then I spent the rest of the day at school doing my thing.

This evening was filled with excitement as well. First, I got a Skype call from Angela (in NYC) and her roomie, Alison. She also hooked us up with her friend ‘G’, who is in Texas. It was pretty cool to talk to everyone at the same time…and it is pretty amazing that people in Sweden, New York, and Texas can all talk for free at the same time. We reminisced about our trip to the city, and what everyone has been up to. It was really fun hearing their voices!

Soon after that conversation I went to meet a new girl from the States that is going to study here in Piteå this semester! Her name is Diane. Micke and Sebastian called me to see if I could help her get settled, because the airlines lost her luggage and she’s never been out of the country before! Poor thing!!! I took her some food and PJs and will show her around more tomorrow. It will be nice to get to know her better, and have some more American blood in the Artic.

That’s all for now…in bed around 11pm once again…go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment