14.1.10

Concrete Jungle

There is a popular Jay-Z and Alicia Keys song out called “Empire State of Mind”. I spent 12 days in New York City with my friend Marilyn to finish off visit to the US, and sang the song to myself the whole time…
"New York!!!!
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
There's nothing you can’t do,
Now you're in New York!!!
These streets will make you feel brand new
the lights will inspire you,
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York”


We had a great time gallivanting around town, laughing a ton, eating great food, and learning a lot about our friendship in the process! I think the best way to share the adventures is through some photos...

New Year's Eve festivities began at Marilyn's friend Chris' apartment. He's a musician with a lot of musician friends, so it was fun chatting with some people in the business!

yes...that is a grand piano, drum set and bass in the apartment. People were jammin' all night!

Later on we met up with friends Angela and Alison at Stanton Social

On the following Monday, I went to the school that Angela teaches at in Bayonne, NJ to play for her classes along with her friends G, Kristin, and Whitney. We played music from 'West Side Story' and talked about other vioces/instruments. It was a super fun day!

Hi! I'm Miss Finkelmeier. I play percussion. What instruments are in the percussion family? (All the kiddos turn around to look at the percussion poster hanging in the back of the room....kid raises hand and yells "I like drums!!!") I'm from Ohio and now I live in Sweden....do you know where that is? (everyone raises their hand, but have no clue that Sweden is another country. Sooooo cute and funny!)

These are called Bongos!

Whitney and I had a blast accompaning G and Kristin! Great voices!

Although it was freezing (the wind was brutle!), Marilyn and I still did the tourist thing a few times! Map in hand and everything!

The Met

Rockefeller Center! The tree!!!

This is my friend Steve from Ohio State! He lives in Brooklyn, and we went out to see his band play one night! It was crazy how many people I ran into while I was there....bumped into Lauren, from HIGH SCHOOL at the GYM!...walked passed a cafe and noticed Albert, a great friend and pianist from Eastman...and had dinner with Matt who now goes to Julliard. Not to mention Angela and her friends, plus an Eastman Jazzer reunion on my last night. Geez!! NYC isn't that big after all!!!!

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan

After an amazing dinner with Angela where the restaurant owners bought us many Sangrias!

All dolled up to see 'Carmen' at the Met! Standing room tickets were so cheap and worth it!

At this point our duo pictures were becoming a joke (like floating heads...and you must ask yourself...where are they now?) When we realized we didn't have one in Time Square we hopped off the train, ran outside, snapped the photo, and ran back to the Metro to get to Brooklyn! We're insane.

Figured we should take a picture of our matching outfits, and not just our heads! Thank goodness her roomate was home!

Strolling through Central Park


I'm really glad I was able to spend time in New York and hang out with Marilyn, Angela, old friends and new ones. I was able to get a handle on the city and feel comfortable getting around. I almost felt like I had been living there for awhile and it was weird saying goodbye to everyone! Moving to New York is one of the options I would like to look into after Sweden...so now I have more information to make an educated decision on the next endeavor (when the time comes....of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment