3.11.09

You’ve got mail

No, not just an email or Facebook message….real, tangible, left by the postman…MAIL!

Despite the awful, gloomy, dark weather I was excited to walk into town again this morning. I was going to go to the post office to pick up the camera that Cathy sent me to use as a replacement until December. I received the package slip in my mailbox yesterday, and I literally did a little happy dance when I found it…you know the one! I’m so thankful for Cathy’s kindness! (Cathy and I reconnected on Facebook. I went to high school with her son. We were both band nerds…once a loving band mom, always a loving band mom! I will owe her a huge hug when I go home in December! Thanks Cathy!)

As I walked past our wall of mailboxes to head out the door, something drew me to check mine again. I rarely get anything besides my rent bill, but I always check it anyway…hoping that something exciting lay beyond the little metal door. This morning, to my surprise and delight…a large white envelope inhabited MY mailbox! Begin happy dance number two…

In the envelope there was a small book called Einstein’s Dreams. It was mailed directly from the vendor, so there was no note or return address. Who could this be from?! The surprise and thoughtfulness of this friend was enough to put a little more bounce in my step for the rest of the day. My friends rock.

At the post office I gave the package slip to the woman, and asked for the package IN SWEDISH. I must have sounded pretty convincing because she started to talk really fast and I had to interrupt her and ask her to speak English…but I was still proud of myself for trying! I also went to the library to pick up some fun books to read, as well as some children’s books in Swedish (to help me learn). The librarian laughed at me.

As I walked around town, I said “Hej” or smiled at the people I walked past. Out of about 18 people (I counted)…6 returned the gesture, 1 grunted, and the others looked baffled. Lighten up, Piteå :)

All day I tried to figure out who sent me the book (that I began to read while I ate lunch). When I was taking a break from practicing at school, I was on gmail chat talking to Erin. And, she revealed herself. A few weeks ago I must have complained that I didn’t have any good books to read, so she sent me one. SHE IS THE BEST!!! We went to Eastman together, and were interns at the Arts and Cultural Council. She lives in Montana now, and works for the Zootown Arts Council. Thanks, Erin…I think that sending real mail is one of the most thoughtful gestures there is. Although I appreciate this high-tech world, there is something extra special about snail mail.

So, now I have a camera to document each day again and a book to entertain me in the evenings…not to mention warm and fuzzy feeling that I am cared for...thanks again Cathy and Erin!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I hope you continue walking around in Piteå saying "Hej" to people. We need you.

    -- Anders, living in Piteå

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tack för kommentaren och för läsning, Anders! Ha en bra dag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Einstein's Dreams... I like that book! I especially like the fact that it has nice short chapters, which means that even if you are crazy busy, you can still read a "whole" chapter and feel good about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete