8.11.09

Keeping it real

I just had a bit of a laugh as I read through a few of my entries when I first arrived here. It feels like a long time ago, even though it’s been just over two months! So much has changed, and I sure have learned a lot.

In September, as I attempted to acclimate myself with Piteå, and Sweden in general, it seems as though I was obsessed with fitting in. For awhile it made me self conscious to speak differently, to dress differently, and to carry myself differently. These introverted tendencies and awkward feelings just make me laugh now. Among the many things I’ve learned here, I’ve realized that embracing one’s strengths and weaknesses is really all you can do. So…I talk and laugh loudly, wear gym shoes everywhere, say “hej” to people as they walk by, and take my backpack to the grocery store so I don’t have to buy a bag. Yes, I’m the American…and you can stop, say “hi” to me, and chat…or not.

I think this thought of embracing my “American” ways is making its way into my perspective in the musical world as well. Here in Sweden (and in the rest of Scandinavia), they have what is called “Jantelagen” (Jante Law), where no one is to think they are better than anyone else. There are even “10 Commandments”:

•Don't think you are somebody
•Don’t believe that your are as good as us
•Don't believe that you are smarter than us
•Don't believe that you are better than us
•Don't believe that you know more than us
•Don't believe that you are more than us
•Don't believe that you a good at anything
•Don't laugh at us
•Don't think that anybody cares for you
•Don't believe that you can teach us anything

Kind of harsh, right? As I understand it, these ideals were put into place for the survival of the community. If no one stands out and everyone works on the same level, all will survive. Although I do believe that it is important that you look after your neighbor, I think that there is nothing wrong with embracing your gifts and talents…and more importantly, what you are passionate about.

Under this “law”, if I were to have dinner at a friend’s house, instead of saying “This is a great meal!” I would say “this meal isn’t that bad”. If I were to compliment them, I would actually be indirectly degrading my own cooking abilities, and therefore putting myself in a subservient role. Translate this to the music world…not much encouragement floats around...that’s for sure.

Although this way of thinking is a bit dated, and it’s said that my generation is deviating from it….as a foreigner, it is still apparent. Maybe it’s because I don’t speak fluent Swedish, and that people are still timid to approach me, but it seems as though positive reinforcement is a bit taboo. When talking to musicians who have been to America, they agree. Although the competition is intense amongst musicians, in America we are generally supportive and encouraging of one another and this support is what keeps the artistic world alive and progressing.

As I continue my studies and adventures here, I’ve decided to embrace every little thing that makes me…me. (While continuing to try and grow and improve, of course!) I will compliment and praise my peers if I feel moved to do so, and hope that the positive energy inspires some sort of change, or at least a greater understanding of one another.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Maria. Well said...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always neat to look back what you wrote and how you were ;) I did that this September.. looking back 365days ago's blog post... which made me laugh, massive stress and amazingly enough, I still remember all moments :)

    Good luck with everything and enjoy everything! How exciting life you have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that law is a little depressing! You keep being you. Honoring the culture is one thing, but conforming to it is quite another. Appreciate your gifts and let them shine! Okay, that's my little soap box rant for today. :)

    Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete