13.11.09

What day is it?!

The last two days have been a whirlwind! I can’t believe time that time is going by so quickly…I only have 2 weeks left in Piteå (and a couple weeks in Stockholm and Paris!) before going back to the States for Christmas!

Yesterday began with a practice session, followed by a dance class that I accompanied. Niether the teacher nor the students had ever worked with a live drummer, so it was really rewarding to see how positively they responded! I could see that they were excited to be dancing to a new kind of music/time keeper. It was great for me to feel like I had creative freedom, and I was happy with the different grooves and sounds that I came up with. The teacher, also named Maria, wants to hire me on a regular basis!

Then, I changed to educator mode and met with 6 composing students to teach them more abou percussion instruments, and how to write for them. They are putting on a concert that I am playing for in February, so they volunteered me to teach them about percussion (haha). I wish some one was video taping me…it's common knowledge that composers tend to be quiet…but Swedish composers are even more shy! I was trying my hardest to be upbeat, but at times I swear I heard crickets! Phil (the American) laughed a lot because he could tell that I was frustrated that no one was laughing at my jokes. And, we all know that I’m pretty darn funny.

After a fun filled day at school, I came back to my apartment to prepare for an even more fun evening. Louise was staying the night (she had today off), and we planned to make a big dinner then go out for a drink in Piteå. That’s right…we wanted to brave the cold to see if people actually hang out on the weeknights.

Anna and Martina also came over dinner, which made it my first official dinner party! We had roasted chicken, veggies, and cous cous. Everyone needs a best friend au pair. Seriously! I had a great time hanging out with these girls; it was probably one of my favorite nights!

My cute kitchen and pretty friends!

Lou and Anna (and the butter. which is seriously the best butter in the world...plus it's "light"!)

Me and Martina...attempt 1

Attempt 2

Attempt 3...this will have to do! haha


After dinner, Louise and I did exactly what we had intended…trekked into town to see if any pubs were open. We waltzed into a place called Kalles and were happy to see about 10 others there. The special of the night was Coors Light for 29 Kroner, which is actually quite a deal in Sweden (that is about $4, but a beer is usually about 50 Kroner). The bartender asked us if we wanted glasses, and I replied “I’m American, we drink out of the bottle”…I’m such a classy lady!

We took a seat and tried to look as friendly as possible. Everyone glanced in our direction, because we are not afraid to speak loudly and laugh! The only person that dared to talk to us was a drunken old man, who had had a stroke. He sat down with us, and at first it we thought he was nice, and it was interesting to try and talk with him (in broken Swedish and English) but then he kept touching Lou (who was sitting on his “good/working” side…I lucked out). It got to the point where it was uncomfortable, so we excused ourselves. I felt bad, but that behavior is just inappropriate no matter what country you are in!

Around 11pm we decided to leave and see if the hotel bar was “hopping”. It wasn’t. In fact, it closed at 11pm. So, we decided that we “came/saw/conquered” the Piteå weekday nightlife, and walked home. It was freezing, and the ground is still covered with snow and ice…Lou slipped and fell twice…and I laughed really hard (sorry for telling everyone, Lou…but it was hysterical! Don’t wear those boots anymore!)

It was nice that Lou stayed the night. I decided that I need to have a roommate in the next place I live. It’s just nice having someone to chat with, eat breakfast with, and get advice from!

--------

Today was eventful as well! We went to the Red Cross store this morning (they know us by name) because I needed to get some winter gear. We’re hoping to go sledding this week, and there is a ski trip on Dec. 5 (no, I will NOT fall and hurt myself!). I picked up some huge snow pants and a thick waterproof coat…and, I only spent $20!

After the errand filled morning, we went to a concert at school. Anna was singing with all of the first year musicians majoring in performance. It was wonderful to hear her! I love having talented friends!

I also did a lot of teaching today since Daniel is in the States. I really miss having private students (and teaching classes…having the composer’s forum yesterday made me miss teaching percussion methods at Eastman! Except, my students then actually laughed at my jokes…haha). I hope that I get to do more teaching here after Christmas It's a really good experiece and the students seem to be responsive to my ideas! Plus, I have to be really creative with how I explain things to make sure that the language is clear and articulate.

I really can’t believe that it’s already November 13. I feel like it was just yesterday that I almost teared up when I got off the plane in Stockholm and saw Anders! I wonder how emotional I’ll get when I get off the plane in Cincinnat in LESS THAN A MONTH!

1 comment: