9.11.09

Neo

Today I completed my first paid gig! Woohoo! I subbed for Daniel in his group, Neo. Norrbotten Neo is a chamber group dedicated to play contemporary works. Everyone in the group is an incredible musician and friendly too :) Check them out: http://www.norrbottenneo.com/

Daniel is in the USA with Anders and Rolf for a tour with GPN (Global Percussion Network), and then for PASIC (Percussive Arts Society International Convention). Needless to say, I’m jealous considering they are in Indianapolis…so close to home! However, I was thankful for the opportunity to play with this group.

I was nervous about the rehearsal today, just because really I wanted to put my best foot forward. Luckily, the music isn’t too complicated (as a lot of new music can be); we are doing a reading workshop of compositions by students from a specialized school outside of Piteå. We went through about 7 pieces today, and will continue with a few more for 2 hours tomorrow. I feel good about my performance, and hope tomorrow goes just as well!

I can’t describe what it feels like to be in a rehearsal when you can’t understand the conductor. It can be stressful at times, but always intriguing. I know my numbers, so when we start at a specific measure I can always tell where we are in the music. Thankfully, whenever the conductor had to address my part, he always switched to English. Maybe by June I’ll be able to follow an entire rehearsal…hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment