8.2.10

week recap

I'm pretty amazed with how busy I became this week. I don't mind it, of course...and am actually feeling more like 'me' than ever before!

A lot of time is being sucked up by rehearsals because of all the performances coming up. (3 Midvinter concerts and SMASK..more on each of those later...I dare you to do a You-Tube search on SMASK...it'll make you laugh, and you can see what I just spent my entire weekend doing!!) Plus, I'm planning a solo recital for March 2 in the Black Box at the Acusticum. After tonight's awesome practice session I'm starting to get really exited about it...again, more on that later.

The highlight of this past week was recording my audition for the Baltic Youth Philharmonic (click for the website). I asked the same sound guys that did my recording before Christmas to help me out. I'm lucky to be able to count on them for these kinds of projects. Plus, we all have a lot of fun together, and I feel like I can be myself around them (meaning, I can embarass myself every 5 seconds and not think twice about it!) As a 'thank-you' I made them a treat....Swedish chokladbollar (chocolate balls). They are similar to the no-bake cookies my mom make, and they are super fun to make. So, I don't know which was most fun...preparing for the recording session by making treats, goofing off during the recording session, or actually making the music for the auditon. Hum. Whichever, it was a well spent few days!

Making the chocolate balls! I was excited to use my hands to mix the dough! Diana, Anna, and Lou were amused!
yummmmmmy! and since I'm a Buckeye, I put peanuts in some of them...just a little Ohio flare in the Swedish recipe!
Anders, Jakob, Linus (who took some awesome photos for my next recital poster!), and Alex showing me their awesome marimba skills. I think they look like the Swedish version of a Mexican Marimba Band (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about!)
After the recording the audition video. I owe them big time!

I was very relieved to be done recording the video, and enjoyed the stress and the social time the rest of the week. On Thursday night, Sara, David, Johan, and Conny cooked me an amazing meal...MOOSE! After my recital last term, they gave me a note saying that they wanted to cook me a 'congrats dinner', and well...it finally happened. Along with some amazing food, we spent about 4 hours chatting about anything everything! A lot of the conversation revolved around American and Swedish perceptions of each other, stereotypes, etc...which is really interesting to discuss...especially with people that I am really comfortable around and can be totally honest. I hadn't hung out with them much this month, so it was great to be able to just sit and talk. I really want to have more dinners like that!

Speaking of dinner, last night Lou made another great dinner for Anna and me...salmon, sweet potato mash, and risotto. Wow. I'm definitely not deprived of good food and good company!

Alright, I think I've killed enough time waiting for my laundry to be done. I need to get my bed linens out of the dryer so I can go to bed! It's about 1:30am (I'm missing the Super Bowl!) and I have a busy busy week ahead of me, followed by a weekend in Stockholm! Plus, I have to make some "what to do anout the future" decisions soon. sigh!

Earlier when I was skyping with my parents I asked them why the heck I chose to get so involved in music...such a hard career path...and they said that they know I like the challenge, and that it may be hard, but I'm doing what I love. Ugh! I guess they are right! Don't ya hate that!!?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment