19.6.10

The big 'Next Year' update

I have a lot of entries to post and pictures to share about random events that have happened the past few weeks, but first I need to write about my plans for the fall. The past two weeks have been slightly stressful, filled with mile long to-do lists, unanswered questions, and meetings that just lead to other meetings. However, it’s now Saturday…two days before I leave for practically the entire summer (orchestra tour and a visit home), and I feel really good about where life is at the moment.

First, I need to say that…I am definitely staying in Piteå next year!!! There will be two new Masters Students here (one from Texas and one from Australia), and I know this will be a great chance to collaborate and continue to build a career. Plus, I get to continue my work with Anders, travel, and make connections on this side of the pond. I know that if I would move back to the States now, I wouldn’t have this kind of opportunity ever again. So, even though my exact means of income for the next year is unknown…I’m confident that one of my endeavors with work out! Plus…there’s the whole “I’m dating a Swede thing”... (we found an amazing apartment that I will write about later!) :-)

So…let’s start explaining what’s been happening in my professional life…

As you know, last March I applied for a new Doctorate program created by the Swedish government. Piteå was given two positions, and each candidate was asked to send in a proposal of study (no specified guidelines). I sent in my application and waited patiently (well, sometimes) for the answer. To make a very long story short, I did no make it into the program. But…I really do see it as a blessing in disguise. I was bummed at first (of course), but not really upset enough to make me think that this would have been the right path for me. The process of applying was very frustrating and unorganized, so I felt that the program will probably be the same. Plus, it is a four year commitment….and wow…that’s a long time! I did let the committee know that I was disappointed in the application process because it caused so many headaches and the communication was so minimal.

So, since I just can’t keep my mouth shut, I met with the head of the committee to discuss my application and my complaints on Monday. I requested a formal review of my application, and to my delight…he praised it. He said that it was very clear and well-written, and that musically the committee did not doubt my talent and dedication to music for a second. This made me very happy. However, they felt that my project was too focused on pedagogical research, which was not the aim for the program. And that’s it. Seriously. That’s the only reason they didn’t chose me. I left the meeting feeling good about how I represented myself and glad that I voiced my opinion regarding the committee’s decisions.

At the end of the meeting, he gave me a few ideas about how to get funding for my doctorate proposal from other Swedish research foundations. This led to a meeting on Wednesday with Micke (advisor, and great help throughout this process…and this year) and a music pedagogy professor and former Dean of the school. We discussed my proposal and options. Nothing concrete came from this discussion, I was just reassured that my idea was “really great and innovative”. They want me to go through with my studies, but no one can give me a step-by-step way to do so. He said he would discuss it with the head of the educational department to see if I can get some funding and support. But, since it’s practically summer, I doubt anything can happen. I may be able to find something for the second semester though…we’ll see…

My final meeting this week was to discuss the school hiring me as a teacher (with more than the one student, and hopefully a percussion ensemble class), a dance department accompanist (a consistant schedule, not just randomly like I did this year), and as an administrator (composing documents in English, helping with the international students, etc...). I was talking with the head of the whole music department and she was optimistic about all of these jobs. However, the entire administration at school is practically imploding, and they won’t know how it will be structured until August…so I won’t know anything until August. Brilliant.

My last idea to build my career revolves around a duo that I’m starting with my good friend, and amazing classical vocalist, Margret. I will explain the specifics of the duo in a later entry, once we get more established…but I will say that I have a lot of confidence in this collaboration! Our repertoire is unique, and we will both be done with our studies… willing, able, and excited to put a lot of energy into playing, planning, creating, networking, and all the fun stuff that goes along with a performance career! I can’t wait to see what happens!

The creation of this duo (and the million other ideas floating around in my head), has lead me to contact the Swedish government about starting a non-profit organization. It may sound crazy, but if I am allowed to start it, it will create a lot of opportunities to perform, teach, travel, and collaborate with a lot of friends (because most of my friends are amazing musicians!) The idea is to start an organization that helps “create performance and educational opportunities for young musicians and chamber ensembles that focus on crossing cultural boundaries”. I would help groups (and if I can, groups that I am in) apply for grants and organize travel, concerts, seminars, etc… Since I worked at the Arts and Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, I know a lot about grant writing and the inner workings of a non-profit. If the government approves me, I think this could be a great new, lasting career move!

So, I think that about sums up my professional goals for the next year. Out of the various ideas, I know that some sort of financial stability must arise. Right?! Both Arvid and I have been working very hard the past two weeks on getting everything organized before I leave for Berlin on Monday. Thankfully, yesterday we both finally felt more relaxed and optimistic that this will logistically work out!

Now I feel like I can look forward to what is next this summer….three weeks with the Baltic Youth Philharmonic, three weeks at home in Ohio with Mom, Dad, friends, family, and Arvid, one more week with the orchestra, and some relaxation at Anders summer home in Goteland…by then it will be mid-August and time to move into the new apartment and get all of my ideas truly happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment