14.6.10

25th Bday

On June 5, I turned the big 2-5! I’ve never been one to make a big deal out of my birthday, but wanted to celebrate it in a special way. You can’t blame me…it’s my first birthday in a foreign country, and 25 is kind of a big one! Plus, it landed on a Saturday, which lends itself to many celebration opportunities!

BUT...I wasn’t allowed to plan anything. I tried. Many times. I knew Anna and Arvid had it covered, but they eventually convinced me that nothing was going on. I was getting frustrated (because I hate not knowing what is happening!) But, of course, letting them plan everything was worth it...I had such a fantastic day!

The day began with Arvid calmly saying “Happy Birthday” and telling me that we could get a little work done, then go into town for a fika. Grand. I didn’t want to get my hopes up that we would do something fun, so I tried my hardest to ‘go with the flow’! He made me a crappy breakfast and said that his friend Victor may stop over because he was on his way to Ikea in Haparanda. I got a shower and put my PJs back on because I was bored. Then, Anna knocked on the door and came in for coffee; she had a jar of Nutella in her hand, which did put a smile on my face. Then Victor came by and we sat there for a bit chatting. They both left, and a few minutes later Arvid told me to get dressed to go into town.

Then I started to get excited. I could tell that something fun was going to happen! He coached me on what to wear…‘something you can be outside in’…and as we were heading out the door, he put a scarf around my eyes to blindfold me!! It was scary! But, I was too excited to care. He led me downstairs and to the parking lot. After a lot of giggling and ramming into a door, I finally made it into a car. The car took off and no one would talk to me!!!! I kept asking questions and laughing, but they were silent. After 5 minutes, I actually felt nervous! What was happening?!

When the car stopped, they guided me down a path a few feet. They removed the blindfold and I was facing a beautiful beach! I turned around to see Arvid, Anna, and Victor (and soon Mira, Johann, Elias, and Sebastian joined us)! We were at the Pite Havsbad, a big resort type of place. We spent the whole day playing on the beach and bbq-ing a yummy meal!

What I saw when they took the blindfold off!

Arvid laughing! (probably at my expense! they had me fooled!)

heading out to the beach to play "Cube" (an old Viking game very popular in Sweden...it reminds me of cornhole!)


The sky was amazing!

Action shot!

Anna taking a walk

It eventually started to rain, so we had to move the bbq to a shelter. No worries though! still a fun time, and some great food!

After an exhausting day, we went home. I was instructed to nap and take a shower. I followed along flawlessly (especially the napping part), and got dressed to go over to Anna’s for some drinks. She had a lovely party prepared with friends and food (what more can a girl ask for?!) We stayed there for a few hours, and then took a cab to Challenge. It was such a fun night!

Party at Anna's!

I like presents!

People at Anna's enjoying the treats and conversations!

We left the bar earlier than most, went to Max for a burger (haha, what a typical night in Piteå), and went home! Victor stayed over (yay, sleepover!) and we had a very chill Sunday….watched movies, took a walk, had pizza with some friends. The boys even cleaned their cars once they had the energy! It was a great weekend…and one of the best parts is that all I had to do was show up :-) Thanks for Arvid for thinking of everything and Anna for helping him with all the details! I have such amazing friends here!

No comments:

Post a Comment