31.8.09

Live and Learn

Well, today did not go as smoothly as the past couple of days. The big objective for the day was to figure out my money situation, which stresses me out anyway. When you add in the fact that I'm in a foreign county...well, you can imagine how I felt walking into town this morning. Especially when I was halfway there, and realized I forgot my money pouch (where I keep my "extra" Kroner, I don't like having a lot in my wallet). Once I finally got into town, I sat down to get my thoughts and paperwork together. I practiced (in my head) saying "Hi, my name is Maria. I am from American. I am a student at the Music School. Do you speak English?" in Swedish. I finally felt ready, and waltzed over to the bank.

Now, you may be asking. "Maria...why the heck didn't you ask Daniel to come with you?". Well, I've asked him and Ariana for so much already, I felt like I should handle this on my own. Plus, I'm stubborn.

When I got into the bank, I waited in line for 10 or so minutes (so I kept practicing my lines). When I got up to the woman at the information desk, I did my best to recite my Swedish. In response I got a very confused look, so I just said "English?". She had some other woman come help me.

I did my best to explain my situation. After some broken conversation back and forth she said that I can't open an account because I don't have a Swedish Personal Number, and that I should have someone help me. She was nice and helpful enough, but I just felt very defeated. I started to get upset because I need to pay my rent and buy minutes for my phone, both of which I need an account to process.

So, I quickly threw my sunglasses on, and headed out the door. I had originally planned to run a couple more errands in town, but decided to head back home since I was getting emotional.

When I got in my apartment I calmed myself down, and got on my computer to do some research. I found out that in order to get a PN from the tax office you have to be here for more than a year. So, I emailed PiteBo, my apartment office to see if I can send them the money from my account in the states. After emailing with them, and with my dad, I think we're just going to wire money from my account in the States. But, I'm just hoping that all the info is right, because they weren't very clear. Only time will tell...let's just hope they don't kick me out of my place!

This excursion took most of the morning, and I was spent emotionally. So, I did what I do best, I took nap! When I woke up, I felt better, and ready to go practice. Here are a few pics of the Acusticum. (The School is divided into two buildings; the Acusticm contains Europe's acoustically best recital hall, and state of the art recording equipment. It's a great facility!) The percussion practice rooms are the windows to the left of the lobby:
Daniel was there, so we chatted for a bit, and he helped me with a few things around school. Then, I found my happy place...and started practicing. Playing helped me relax, and feel that I was doing the right thing, by being in Sweden. I even started to compose a piece that Anders will help me with. I'll travel to Stockholm next week to study with Anders. I'm also in the process of planning a recital for the beginning of August with Kyle, a friend from the University of Kentucky who is living and teaching Art in Germany right now.
I knew that this experience couldn't all be easy and tearless. So, I'm happy to put this day behind me and start fresh tomorrow. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening studying Swedish, and planning more of the semester.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure you can pay your bills at the post office -- that's what I did, as I recall. You might want to check on that because it'll save you the (probably large) transaction fee from your bank in the States.

    cameron

    ReplyDelete