28.8.09

Complimentary Wine?! Heck, yes!

I can't believe that I'm actually in Piteå! The past two days were filled with traveling and traveling and more traveling...and I couldn't have asked for a better experience!


I haven't been on an international flight in a really long time, and I was actually pretty excited to be on a red-eye flight. There were a lot of students on the flight from Chicago to London, and it was fun to chat with the people around me. The guy I was sitting next to was returning to Siberia after spending a year in the US studying engineering. He survived, so I figure that I can do the same.


They served dinner on the flight, which to my surprise was pretty yummy! Plus, we were served some complimentary wine! Excuse my ignorance, but I was pretty darn excited. Plus, right after eating, I was out like a light! I didn't sleep the whole time, anxious for some reason...but the flight was eventless. I did, however, enjoy the accents of our British flight attendants probably more than most people.


In London, we had to go through a security check again, which was a drag. But, in line I chatted with a girl from Switzerland who had just spent the summer in New Jersey working at a horse camp. I had hoped she had a crazy long lay-over like I did, but we parted ways after getting through security.


Spent 4 hours in London. Then, I was on my way to Stockholm. At this point, it started to sink in. At the gate I was sitting around people talking in Swedish, and the announcements were first in Swedish. Here goes nothing, I thought to myself.


I was super anxious for this 2.5 hour flight. Tried to read and write in my journal, but for the most part I just sat there. Upon arriving in Stockholm, I first went through "customs"...which was just a woman checking my passport, and telling me I'm crazy for going to Piteå because it's so cold. Haha...welcome to Sweden.


I grabbed my bags (and put them on a little cart, I'm happy with how well I did packing, but it's still a lot of just me to carry!), headed out the door, and.....there was Anders!! Right outside the baggage claim waiting!! I was so excited to see him! He grabbed my cart and headed to the parking lot.


We drove into Stockholm and just chatted and chatted and chatted...catching up and already making plans for the year. He told me that he booked a flight up to Piteå for the evening as well, so that we can drive from Luleå to Piteå together, and meet with Daniel the next day. This news was music to my ears. Perfect!


In Stockholm, Anders showed me around a little. He showed me his new studio, which is in the Kroumata rehearsal and performance space. I'm pretty sure I got chills when I walked into the building and started to meet people.


Anders had some plans in the afternoon, so I was on my own for a couple of hours. Grabbed a map of the city, Anders pointed me in the right direction, and I started walking! Ended up around the palace and museums, and just had the best time exploring, taking pictures, and people watching.


Around 6:30, Anders called "my" cell phone (which is actually his old cell phone that I'll borrow for the year and load with minutes as I need them), and picked me up. We ordered a taxi to head back to the airport.


This is when the exhaustion (and sore feet) began. Before I knew it, it was 10:45pm, and I was in Luleå. Anders rented a car and we drove the 45ish minutes down to Piteå. It was a little chiller, and really foggy. I didn't get to see much, besides road signs (did you know that "Fart" means "speed" in Swedish? hehe...), lots of beautiful trees, and a few buildings.


Checked into my hotel as soon as arriving in the town, and made plans to meet up with Anders for today. Passed out....


The adventure has begun better than I could have imagined! I'm going to go enjoy breakfast at the hotel, and then get my keys to the apartment. Daniel, Anders, and I are meeting this afternoon to make some plans! I'll post pictures and videos and have more news later!

1 comment:

  1. I'm am so enjoying your blog! I would never do waht you are doing so living vicariuosly (?) through you is awesome!

    ReplyDelete