3.2.12

Two projects down, many more to come!

Today, it's -30 degrees. However, I can't complain. The sun is actually peeking above the trees, the sky is bright blue, and the ground is a sparkling white.

With that said, I am still at my apartment in heavy sweat pants and bathrobe waiting until the last moment until I must venture outdoors! 

I've been back in Piteå for about 3 weeks, and each day has presented new challenges, excitement, and even disappointment. I've moved into a new apartment....well, if you can even call it that! It's an extra room in a house that has its own entrance. It's tiny: just one room with a kitchenette and a bathroom...but, it will do for now. I only plan on staying here for one more month. Then, I'll move in with Jake/Anna (haven't really decided which yet!) We'll be traveling so much in March, April and May, it doesn't make sense to have my own place. Plus, I can barely afford my rent payments with such a small salary and so many expenses. 


Jan. 11, 2012: reunited with my Piteå family (also known as Ensemble Evolution!)

 My "house"...the door to my room is on the left

The neighborhood on a typical day. It's not always easy to get around, but it is beautiful! 

The transition back to this lifestyle has had it's ups and downs, but I only had time to think about it every once in awhile...which is a good thing! Along with Jake, Anna, Charles, and Chrissy, we've already completed two successful musical projects. I think that's pretty impressive considering we've been back for less than a month, it's freezing, and the sun has only appeared a 2 or 3 times! 

The first project was recording the duo CD with Jake. We gave ourselves 8 days to get over jet-lag, work our hands back into shape and rehearse our repertoire before pressing record. When we planed the project, this seemed like ample time. However, those days sure did fly by! Along with getting reacclimatized with Sweden, meeting with various administrator and teachers at the University, and trying to organize future projects (and, life in general), that week felt like 2 days! Although it felt like a whirlwind, we went into the recording process with positive attitudes and a lot of energy! Luckily, Jake and I feed off of each other's spunky, and sometimes ridiculous, personalities...so even when the process became stressful or didn't go as planned, our demeanors were not affected. 

We recorded six out of the seven pieces in our commissioned/self-composed repertoire. We'll make a video of Casey's piece (the one where we just play on the floor...can't see anyone wanted to listen to that one without the visual!) We did it in three days, and were exhausted by the end. I didn't play for the following two days, my hands needed a rest!

We made the Black Box Theatre into our recording studio. We wanted some natural resonance from the instruments, and it proved to be the perfect space! (plus, it's conveniently right next to our rehearsal space) We recorded our three marimba duos in one day = insane.  

The next day we did Skylight and Bunker

Ended late on a Monday night (Jan 23) with the drum set duet

The second project that we've been focusing on this week is Chrissy's "Rad Ragtime Project." She received a grant from the Australian government to come up here and work with the students on novelty ragtime xylophone music. She's done a great job getting all of the Musikhögskolan and Framnäs students involved. First, we did a concert with Ensemble Evolution (included Anna on vocals) that was really special. Ragtime music holds a special place in my heart because of the passion that Susan and Joe shared with us at Ohio State. I was excited to perform Charleston Capers (one of my favs), and even more excited to play the rep with my 4 best friends. You could tell we were having a great time! Charles recorded both audio and video, so I hope we get some footage up soon! 

Yesterday, we spent the day with all of the percussion students in Piteå. We played three gigs: one at a café, one at the mall (thanks to Denis, who thought of it, and set it up at the last minute!), and at Framnäs (the pre-college that is close by). I've never seen so much camaraderie between all of the students here, and it was so inspiring to see them grow so much! I am really thankful that Chrissy has this idea and made it happen up here in the Arctic! The students had never played this music before, and they were really inspired! 

Super fun-times rehearsing with EE! 

Gig at Krokodil (the local live music café) Charles and Chrissy have a great lineup of ragtime duo rep!

Impromptu gig at the mall! Go Johanna! 


I am determined to make every minute count during my last 5 months here! We've created a packed schedule of concerts, tours, and projects! Here's a little taste of what is in store:

Feb 9 - 13: gig with BYP at Russian Embassy in Berlin/audition for next year's group
Feb 21 - 27: Bill and Ruth Cahn visit Piteå. They'll give seminars and a concert with EE!
Feb 28 - March 4: Rosewind Duo visit Sweden. Can't wait to work with Scott Herring!
March 7 - 26: Ensemble Evolution tour AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) 
April 15: Anna's final recital (EE will play, of course!)
April 21 - 29: Ensemble Evolution are in residency in Vilnius, Lithuania for The PROCESS
May 8 - 15: Angela visits! We'll perform concerts and do some guest teaching in the south 
May 19 - June 2: Tour in Germany with BYP

Holy moly...this is going to be amazing! Stay tuned, I'm sure some good stories will come out of all these adventures! 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog so much, Maria! Great pics too. :) Can't wait to see you in May!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete