9.12.09

Homeward bound

I haven’t done a good job of remember to write since I got back from Paris. Again, time is just flying...and it about 2 hours I’ll be climbing into the taxi to take me to the airport and begin my travels back HOME! woohoo!

When I got back from Paris I was exhausted. Absolutely exhausted….2-4 hours of sleep a night just didn’t cut it! At first I was really happy to be back in Piteå, but once the comfort of my own things wore off, I was really cranky! I was on such a high the whole vacation, I think my body and mind just crashed. It took me a few days to be happy again…my great friends and some great practicing helped a lot!

The great weekend also assisted with getting over my post-awesome-trip-depression. I threw an “American Style” party at the community building (called Kvartes) on Friday. Anna and Lou (and Facebook) helped me spread the word. We set up beer pong, flip cup, and a kings (card game) table. I also maybe Skyline Chili dip…it was to be as American as it can get! My friend, Marcus, also agreed to be the DJ, so we were all set!

The party was a blast…and people are still talking about it :) So, if Piteå doesn’t remember me for my music, at least they will remember me for being the hostess with the "mostess"! Haha…here are a few pictures. A ton of people showed up...half of which I didn't even know!


We come as a Trio...most peole know that by now! Couldn't have thrown the party without Lou and Anna!


Swedes love beer pong...and I love that I can actually win playing against them :)


Ulf made me a necklace, because one of mine broke and everyone blamed him (I didn't). It was a funny joke, and I can't believe he actually came through and made me another one...from plastic wrap, almonds, paper clips and a chain. I wore it all night...it was a bold fashion statement!


David and Alexander practicing their flip cup skills!


Ola and I try to convince people we're cousins (he studied in the States for a year)...more people believe us than I ever thought would!


 Happy friends = happy Maria!

On Saturday, Anna and Lou helped me clean what was the biggest mess I’ve ever seen. Then, we went into town to go to Max…our 'McDonald’s'. We felt like we deserved a burger :) We got stared at though...first because we were speaking English, and second because we looked and smelled really bad…oh well, th food was worth the horrible looks! Later, we watched a movie and made dinner that night to recover from the party. Being a hostess is tiring!
--------
For the past few days I have spent a lot of time in the practice room. Next Monday I’m playing a concerto and a xylophone rag with Lakota West, and I really needed to focus on memorizing! I was a little worried over the weekend, since I’ve spent so much time away from the instruments…but I’m feeling good about it now. I’m actually really excited! I think it’s going to be a fun concert!

I’ve also said a lot of “hejdå” (goodbye) to my friends the past few days. Although Piteå may not be the most lavish town, I think that as long as you surround yourself with good people, positivity, and a trade that you enjoy…any place can become home. I’ve made so many memories here the past 4 months, I can’t wait to see what is in store for the next 6!

On that note...I CAN NOT WAIT to get home to Ohio…I am just happy that this adventure has turned as it has. Sharing my stories and what I’ve learned with friends and family will make the experience even more rewarding.

Next time I write, I will be in Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment