27.3.11

Festival Reflections Part 4

What did Friday have in store? By this point, the pace and craziness of festival production was becoming normal, but that didn't mean there wasn't plenty to coordinate and oversee!

The day's schedule was:
9.00 – 10.00: Highlighting pubications by Edition Svitzer; Ensemble Evolution and Rhythm Art Duo
10.00 – 10.30: Johan Svitzer Clinic: the publishing world
11.00 – 11.30: Ensemble Performance by Palmgren Conservatory Ensemble
11.30 – 12.00: Ensemble Performance by Framnäs Folkhögskolan 
12.00 – 12.30: Ensemble performance by Tampere Conservatory, Tamk Percussion Ensemble
12.30 – 13.30: lunch
13.30 14.00: Informal foyer concert with Ensemble Evolution
14.00 – 15.00: Improvisation Session 2
15.30 – 17.00: Solo Marimba Repertiore with Daniel Berg, Jacob Remington, and Ellen Sjö Sander
19.00: CONCERT: International Soloist Showcase

This was a packed day, that begin with an EE performance! It was very important for us to highlight the works published by EditionSvitzer. He has supported us in so many ways; published Hittade, gave me tons of contacts for the festival, advertised for the festival, sent us free music, donated music to our duo Kickstarter project and came all the way from Copenhagen to attend and network! He sent us a trio by Broström called Bridging the World, so we decided to begin the session with the piece. It was good for us to play with little rehearsal and with little sleep! Welcome to the life of a pro!! 

Bridging the World: great for intermediate ensembles and educational tool to introduce Bach!

Johan runs a world class publishing company. He really cares about all of his artists and the production of high quality music!

Fredrik checks out the EditionSvitzer display

Next up was an hour and a half very special to the students in attendance. Our goal was to give every single participant a chance to perform! It was great to see passionate performers at all levels! 

From Pori Palmgren, Finland. This was their first performance ever! so great! 

From the folkschool here in Piteå

Showing some ragtime skills! From Tampere, Finland

Another "great idea" that EE had during the planning process was to present an improvisation project that Charles created with iPhones. Of course, playing a lunch time concert in the middle of the festival was really smart. Haha :)  well, we were a bit stressed...but improvising with iPhones is super fun, and everyone loved it! It was fun to present one of our new ideas...we hope to keep developing the concept to make it into a sustainable work!

Half of the reason to do this little gig was to play in the beautiful Acusticum foyer! marimba + vibes + drums + toy piano + 3 iphone triggers/effects + 2 speakers = super fun! 

Following this taste of improvisation was the students groups' improvisation rehearsals. This time, I ran around to listen to each group. It was incredible to see the students having so much fun and working so well together! I then practiced for 5 minutes, and I think I sat down for about 5 minutes to eat half of Anders sandwich before it was time to start the solo marimba session. 

The afternoon session was lead by Daniel Berg, Jake Remington and Ellen Sjö Sander. Each one played works special to them. I couldn't attend because I had to prepare the hall and the light/sound technicians for the evening concert. I heard it was great though! 

Seeing pieces performed by the composer is a great educational tool! 

Once the dinner break started, my body started to shut down. I sent those not involved in the soloist concert away for dinner and set up some sandwiches and snacks backstage (or rather, my two friends Anna and Margret did!) Then, I attempted to produce a full concert including 8 soloists in under 1.5 hours. This was the biggest challenge of the whole festival...and my body was telling me to stop. I don't really remember too much from this part of the day. I had to make sure every performer had a chance to warm-up on stage while explaining to concert order and flow and testing the lights (working the lighting board myself) Not to mention, I was going to perform Hittade with Jake, Charles, and Daniel. Daniel hadn't played it with us before...the only preparation was playing it through with just him during the improvisation session earlier in the day. Not only was I physically exhausted, but nervous that my piece would fall apart. I can't say that this was a healthy combination. 

But, the show must go on! It was an impressive concert in hindsight. Soloists from all around the world, impressive and personal repertoire, and the lighting was pretty awesome too....

Jake started the concert with tons of energy!!!!! 

Charles' piece for snare drum and computer!! So cool to see us each do our own thing!

Ellen had a beautiful touch! 

Daniel is one of the grooviest guys I know!

I love this piece, but I have to admit that this was not my best performance. I was so exhausted, I had no control over my arms or my mind. Although it was painful to get through, I did my best to hide my disappointment, and am glad that I went through this experience. I know I can handle a lot, but maybe I shouldn't preform so much while overseeing such a huge event! 

Trevor's glockenspiel solo in the balcony. I really respect his glockenspiel project! 

Morris is a powerful multi player! 

Shaun Gallant came all the way from California to be apart of the festival and check out the school. great guy, and we hope to work with him in our ensemble in the future! 

The concert ended in amazement! Casey rocks. That's all I can say! 

I had a lot of emotions at the end of this day. Great success within the festival, but a less than stellar personal performance. The good definitely outweighed the bad, but it was still annoying! Luckily, I think that the day was packed with so many great things that no one but me remembers...maybe I shouldn't have written so much! haha :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment