29.11.10

back to reality

even though my reality is still a bit crazy!

I experienced a lot of nostalgia flying back to Sweden yesterday. It was definitely the smoothest travel experience I've had to date. I am very proud to be a SAS (Swedish Air) SILVER member, so I was able to check 2 bags all the way to Luleå with no fees. It is so sad that this fact makes me so happy! All of my flights were on-time, and I just had 3: Cincy-Chicago-Stockholm-Luleå. For the transatlantic flight I had 4 seats to myself! If only every flying experience could be full of so much bliss...

As I sat at my gate in O'hare for a few hours, murmurs of the Swedish language slowly began to surround me. I was instantly taken back to my time at the airport in London last August. An excerpt from a blog post last year:

Spent 4 hours in London. Then, I was on my way to Stockholm. At this point, it started to sink in. At the gate I was sitting around people talking in Swedish, and the announcements were first in Swedish. Here goes nothing, I thought to myself.

Now, I could understand the announcements (for the most part) and giggled at the Swedish baby talk that the mother sitting next to me directed towards her small son. I was looking forward to getting back to the foreign country, that isn't so foreign anymore.

I navigated Arlanda airport (in Stockholm) without even checking the signs and knew exactly what to expect when boarding the routine SAS flight from the city to Luleå. However, when I landed in Norrbotten, I couldn't have felt farther away from the family I just left. I can't wait for everyone to come over and visit so I can share this world with them (hint hint...mom and dad)

There was about 10 centimeters of snow on the ground and the sun was made each flake sparkle more than ever. My taxi driver didn't speak English, but we had no trouble communicating at all. I enjoyed the drive to Piteå so much, I wanted to film the whole thing...I was surrounded by a true winter wonderland! My driver dropped me off at our apartment instead of the regular stop because there was no one else in the car, and he was super nice. Arvid was waiting for me, and the embrace was 4 weeks overdue!

As we approached our apartment I noticed a cute little Christmas wreath and mat in front of our door! How sweet! Arvid bought a few decorations to surprise me....and A CHRISTMAS TREE! I was so excited, like a little kid. He was very proud of himself, as he should have been!

We spent yesterday just lounging and talking about everything under the sun. It was like I had never left :) I was in and out of napping, and we watched a few downloaded shows (welcome back to a world sans TV!) I unpacked and attempted to get organized for what was to be a very busy Monday...

Arvid forced me awake at 7am. I was so close to saying "screw it" and sleeping until whenever...but I knew I had a lot to catch up on. I spent the morning hours in my little office writing emails and doing some work. One of the exchange program applications is due this week, so I new a lot of students would need some help. I am proud to say that 45 students showed up at the meeting that I advertised while I was away, I really happy that so many students are seeking these opportunities, and that I can help!

At about 10:30 I needed to not sit at a desk. I went to practice, but only got 30 minutes in, and Micke called. One of our current foreign students needed some assistance, and I spent an hour and a half helping her work through some things. Then, I went to a lunch concert that my friend Gisli arranged. I was supposed to play, but Charles agreed to cover my butt so I could visit with family a little longer (thanks again, Chaz!) It was a nice concert, and even nicer to catch up with everyone after over lunch.

I spent the rest of the afternoon going through the applications with various students. I really hope they all get into the schools that they want! I walked home at 6pm (Arvid had band practice...yes he's playing in a band with his friends at work. It's really cute...I mean cool and manly! haha) I came home, made some dinner and finished a book I was reading while traveling. Now, I'm back on my computer, fighting some fatigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment